8 Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe from Fall-Related Injuries
We often blog about the perils our elderly loved ones face when it comes to preventing and reducing their risk of experiencing a fall. While the elderly are a particularly vulnerable demographic to fall-related injuries, they aren’t the only group.
Another group that is at a particularly high risk is children. According to the Center for Disease Control, falls are the leading cause non-fatal injuries for children. Furthermore, the CDC estimates that “every day, approximately 8,000 children are treated in U.S. emergency rooms for fall-related injuries, which adds up to nearly 2.8 million children each year.”
Given, the typically sports-filled, active and sometimes hyperactive lifestyle of many children, it may come as no surprise that they suffer from a large amount of fall-related injuries. Many even chalk falls up to being a fact of life or a side effect of an active lifestyle.
While this is partially true, there are many precautions parents can take to maximize their child’s safety and minimize the possibility of a fall or fall-related injury. Below are just a few.
- A number of falls, especially in the summer, are a result of children falling through open windows. Make sure windows are secure and window guards are properly installed.
- Baby safety gates are only for stairs. You can use them to keep children out of any potentially risky areas in your house.
- Walkers can be helpful tools, but also lead children into danger. Make sure to keep them away from stairs.
- Secure heavy furniture to the wall
- Utilize anti-slip material on steps and under rugs to prevent slips and trips
- Keep hallways and stairs bright and free of clutter
- When going to a playground, try to find one with a soft surface such as shock absorbing rubber
- Utilize SmartCells fall protection mats
The line of SmartCells Fall Protection products helps prevent falls, as well as injuries from falls. The unique dual-stiffness structure of SmartCells, provides users with a stable standing surface that will not cause a balance impaired person to lose their balance, while at the same time provide significant cushioning if a fall does occur.
Comparative studies and research to date have yet to record any broken bones on a SmartCells product, and indicate a substantial reduction in other fall-related injuries such as contusions and skin tears.
SmartCells Fall Protection child safety mats combine effectiveness with style and quality, including features like a low profile height (1/2”) and molded-in beveled edges, which reduce tripping hazards.
SmartCells child safety mats are made of latex-free rubber that will not absorb liquids, which allows them to be easily cleaned.
SmartCells Fall Protection child safety mats are available in a variety of colors (Black, Light Brown, and Grey) and configurations ranging from standard sizes (2×3, 3×5 and 24×68), to build-your-own mats and custom flooring.
SmartCells Fall Protection: We’ll be there when you can’t be.