May fifth is host to perhaps the most widely misunderstood yet celebrated holidays, Cinco de Mayo. Although many use Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to consume copious amounts of margaritas and Mexican food, very few know the origins behind the celebration.
A commonly held belief is that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico’s Independence Day celebration. However, this is incorrect. In fact, Mexico’s Independence Day celebration takes place every year on September 16.
Cinco de Mayo is actually the celebration of the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Historians claim the “Mexican army won the battle despite being smaller and ill-equipped.”
Now that you know a little bit about the history behind the celebration, we have gathered several of the Internet’s favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes.
- Guacamole – Guacamole is a staple at any Cinco de Mayo celebration. In fact, statistics claim that Americans consume 81 million avocados on May 5 each year.
- Queso Blanco Dip – This cheesy dip is another popular way to enjoy your tortilla chips.
- Mexican Corn Salad – If you prefer to stay away from chip dip this corn salad will certainly be a hit.
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers – A little on the spicy side but how can you go wrong with bacon and cream cheese?
- Margaritas – Being the most popular drink on Cinco de Mayo, this easy recipe outlines how to make a great drink.
- Cinco De Mayo Slushies – Lacking alcohol these slushies are perfect for both adults and kids
- Horchatas – A little more labor intensive but well worth the work.
- Beef Empanadas – This quick and is recipe is sure to be a hit.
- Breakfast Enchiladas – Start the celebrating early by having these delicious enchiladas for breakfast.
- Chicken and Spinach Flautas – This is a great low-calorie meal that is full of big flavor.
- Mexican Fried Ice Cream –Who can resist deep fried ice cream? It’s simply delicious.
- Sombrero Cookies – Although not authentically Mexican food these cookies will set your party apart.
- Churro Cupcakes – With the addition of cream cheese frosting, this is a nice take on the traditional churro.
Whatever recipe you choose to make for your Cinco de Mayo celebration SmartCells anti-fatigue mats will keep you feeling good.
SmartCells anti-fatigue mats are built with industrial quality and combine features such as beveled edges and stability with style and elegance that blends perfectly in any room in the house.
The unique SmartCells act like springs that cushion as weight is applied and then rebound when the weight shifts, which returns energy and reduces fatigue.
The SmartCells line of anti-fatigue rubber mats come with an industry-leading 8-year warranty and are available in three different surface options (smooth, basket weave and carpet top) as well as three colors (Black, gray and light brown) and three sizes (2X3, 3X5 and 24X68).
If you are simply too mobile to enjoy the benefits of a SmartCells anti-fatigue mats, there is also a line of SmartCells anti-fatigue standard and orthotic insoles.
SmartCells anti-fatigue: It’s not how the mat feels, it’s how YOU feel.