No matter where you live, this last winter was one for the record books.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we experienced a fairly mild winter with very little snow and quite a bit of rain. However, if you live in the Northeast US you experienced what some are referring to as Snowmageddon.
Even though that’s all behind us now that spring has officially started, the transition between winter and spring can be very challenging for our elderly loved ones.
It is not uncommon for our elderly loved ones to experience an increased risk of falling when Spring begins due to the limited opportunities for physical activity caused by the long winter months.
We have compiled a list of tips to help decrease the likelihood of your elderly loved one experiencing a fall this spring.
- To rebuild your elderly loved ones strength, start them off with 15 minutes of daily simple exercise (Walking, swimming, gardening) and increase the time slowly.
- Schedule a vision and hearing check up- If you recall from our latest fall protection blog series, vision and hearing are two of the top physical factors that can lead to a fall.
- Eat a diet rich in vegetables and calcium to help build muscle and bone strength.
- Spring cleaning- Remove clutter from walkways inside and outside, rake up fallen leaves that still linger, be proactive about keeping outside walkways moss free.
- Repair loose floorboards and carpeting
- Use SmartCells Fall Protection
SmartCells fall protection mats and flooring employ a unique dual-stiffness technology that provides a stable, safe surface for standing, walking, wheeling and transferring, while at the same time protects with significant cushioning in case of a slip or fall.
SmartCells fall-protection mats are safe and elegant. They combine style and quality with molded-in beveled edges and allow wheeled objects to easily roll over them.
SmartCells fall protection mats are constructed of material that will not absorb liquid offering a practical solution to infection control issues. SmartCells fall-protection flooring acts as an underlayment for many choices of standard floor covering, so you won’t even know it’s there, until a fall occurs.
SmartCells Fall Protection: We’ll be there when you can’t be.