The SmartCells Top 10 Summer Safety Tips
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we live for the Summer time. Sure, it still rains but at least it is warmer, right?
All joking aside, the extended forecast is telling us that the sun has come out to stay for a while, and we couldn’t be happier. After all, we have had to live through months of rain and cold weather to get to this point.
If you’re anything like us, then you likely have Summer activities planned every weekend from here until Labor Day. However, long hot days of outdoor activities and work can lead to sore backs, legs, feet, sun burns and if you’re not careful even heat exhaustion. Here are some great tips to beat the Summer heat and remain active, productive, safe and feeling good.
- Stay Hydrated with Water– Even though ice cold soda, caffeine and adult beverages may sound thirst quenching, they accelerate dehydration. Experts recommend you aim for 8 or more 8 ounce glasses of water each day.
- Lather on the SPF– Skin cancer is the second most common form of cancer amongst the younger generations. Whether it is cloudy or hot with clear skies, whenever you venture outside apply sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30 or higher.
- Avoid Strenuous Work During Peak Heat Hours– Try to complete work in early morning or evening hours to beat the heat during the peak hours of 10am- 3pm.
- Know the Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion– If you do spend extended periods of time in the heat knowing the symptoms of heat exhaustion could be the difference between life and death. Some common symptoms include being very sweaty or clammy, feeling weak, giddy, tired and/or nauseous, and if severe, fainting or vomiting.
- Check Your Vehicle Before Exiting- We never recommend leaving children or pets alone in a vehicle but you need to be especially cautious during the Summer. The extreme heat leads to an increase in accidental deaths due to this.
- Use Insect Repellent- Mosquitoes are most active at night, if you spend time outdoors utilize bug repellent with Deet and check for insects when coming inside for the night.
- Watch Out for Increased Construction Zones- Summer is synonymous with road construction season. Keep your eyes open for construction zones.
- Watch Out for Increased Teen Drivers- During the Summer the roads see an influx in teen drivers and underage teen drinking. Be wary of your surroundings when on the road.
- Water Safety- We could do an entire blog on water safety during the Summer but we will keep this simple. Be careful when mixing alcoholic beverages and swimming, never swim over your ability and keep your eyes on swimming children always.
- Use SmartCells Anti-Fatigue Products
SmartCells anti-fatigue mats come in several shapes, sizes, colors and configurations to keep you comfortable, productive and feeling good all Summer long.
The unique SmartCells cushioning technology will provide comfort for anyone who stands or kneels for extended periods of time. The SmartCells cushioning technology consists of a rubber surface layer integrated with an underlying array of cylindrical rubber cells that soften in response to surface pressure to provide maximum fatigue relief. The SmartCells act like springs that cushion as weight is applied and then rebound when the weight shifts, which returns energy and reduces fatigue associated with standing.
For Summer time activities where you are simply too mobile to enjoy the benefits of a SmartCells anti-fatigue mats, there is also a line of SmartCells standard and orthotic insoles.