How to Prevent Pet-Related Falls
The leaves have turned colors and many have already fallen to the ground. Not only does this week mark the beginning of fall and end of summer, it also marks the 8th annual falls prevention awareness week.
During this week-long event, senior centers, caregivers and companies all around the nation have joined forces with the National Council on Aging to help raise awareness of the danger of falls and importance of falls prevention for our elderly loved ones.
To support this effort, we have blogged about several topics regarding fall prevention this month; this week our topic is how to prevent falls around pets.
According to statistics from the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence, each year nearly 86,000 fall-related injuries involve a household pet.
Some may wonder, why have a pet if it could potentially increase one’s risk of falling? While a pet could potentially cause a fall, research suggests that pet ownership can be a good thing for the elderly. Many studies have found a link between pet ownership and reduced risk of heart disease.
There are several great ways to help prevent falls related to pets so you’re elderly loved one can continue to enjoy their furry companions.
- Attach a bell to the pet. This will help you know where the animal is at all times and prevent tripping over it.
- Many animals jump when excited, it is important to train the animal to refrain from jumping on people.
- Pets are great, but can create messes while eating or playing. Make sure to keep toys out of walkways and clean up messes when they happen.
- As we mentioned last week, going out-and-about can be troublesome for elderly as it is. When taking an animal outside it is good to know how they will act. This will prevent any surprises or potential fall hazards.
- Always keep control of your animal. It is helpful to use two hands when holding a leash to increase stability and control.
- Use SmartCells Fall Protection mats and flooring.
Not only are SmartCells fall protection products pet-friendly, they help prevent falls as well as prevent serious injury.
The unique SmartCells dual –stiffness technology provides stability for balance impaired persons and care givers, while at the same time providing life-saving cushioning to protect our loved ones when they fall.
SmartCells Fall Protection mats combine effectiveness with style and quality, including features like a low profile height (1/2”) and molded-in beveled edges which reduce tripping hazards and allow most wheeled objects to roll over the mat, without needing to move it out of the way.
SmartCells Fall Protection mats are available in a variety of colors (Black, Light Brown, and Grey) and configurations ranging from pre-sized mats (3×5 and 24×68) to build-your-own mats to fit custom-sized areas.
SmartCells Fall Protection flooring provides a cushioned sub-floor under selected commercial floor coverings.
SmartCells Fall Protection mats and flooring are made of latex-free rubber that will not absorb liquids, which reduces the risk of contamination and infection and allows them to be easily cleaned. Independent testing, using widely accepted protocols (ATSM F355 – 10a) indicates that SmartCells cushioning technology is 2 – 4 times more effective at attenuating impact forces than other products that are nearly twice as thick.
SmartCells Fall Protection: We’ll be there when you can’t be.